Who’s Driving Your Bus?

“Our Life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think.
Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draws it.
Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think.
Joy follows a pure thought like a shadow that never leaves.”

~The Buddha

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the mind as: the element or complex of elements in an individual that feels, perceives, thinks, wills, and especially reasons. The mind is the gatekeeper (to use Jackie Foskett’s term) of some pretty important stuff; our beliefs and perceptions.

The “mind” is a fascinating thing. It may be our greatest gift and our most powerful tool. And it can also be our loudest critic and strident saboteur. And to challenge us further, our mind has layers. Our conscious mind houses our intellect and logic and comprises 10% of our total being. The subconscious mind, which has layers of its own, is the other 90% *

The subconscious mind says a hearty “YES!” to the message with the most power (energy) regardless of our morals, values, current beliefs or aspirations. The subconscious mind drives the bus based upon whatever drum the unconscious mind is beating.

the mind is using youThis is precisely why changing our mind, our perceptions, our beliefs and our habits can be so challenging. Our subconscious mind is still saying YES to the patterns and structures of outdated (and tightly woven) beliefs that we may have adopted from others along our journey of life and no longer serve us.

Enter hypnotherapy, the process that guides us past the gatekeeper into the subconscious mind where our “unconscious” mind is currently running the show. It shows us where the obstacles are. And in the heightened state of awareness that hypnotherapy is, we are able to bypass this gatekeeper to plant new information in our foundational, unconscious mind. We have access to our motherboard and without any resistance we are able to reprogram our circuits!

I can attest to this process. I’ve used hypnotherapy on multiple occasions with remarkable results. The most obvious and visible changes have occurred with some behavior patterns that were very deeply ingrained. And, as one of the invaluable tools I’ve used to reprogram my own motherboard, I recognize hypnotherapy as a modality that shined a light on some of my shadows, allowing me to acknowledge, accept and ultimately realign with new primary beliefs and patterns. My perceptions have been altered.

So what does a hypnotherapy session feel like? It feels like meditation to me. My body falls away although I can feel the tears of relief that sometimes fall effortlessly from my eyes during a session. It feels incredibly safe, even as deeply held experiences, beliefs or pain is revealing itself. Time stands still although an hour or more may have passed. I am effortlessly aligned with the energy of all that is, and our hearts are beating as one.

Leaving this altered state of consciousness takes a few minutes. It feels like a baby looks when it is waking from a nap; what’s going on and where am I? I fumble with tying my shoes and take a moment to find my balance as I get up out of the chair. And I pause to inhale several long, slow, deep breaths of fresh air before returning to the rest of my day.

I know that something big has happened, but I can’t tell you what it is. And now, the processing will begin. The new motherboard has lots of files to update and this can take some time. A walk outside, water and sleep are important for a few days as the integration continues.

In my experience, I’ve received recordings of all of my hypnotherapy sessions. It’s helpful to meditate with these periodically after your hypnotherapy session. It will help clean up any residue and strengthen the newly formed circuitry of your subconscious mind. Return to these recordings as needed.

Hypnotherapy: a positive change agent, guiding you to your intuitive voice where your personal truth resides. A valuable tool as we navigate the bumpy road of life.

*Source: The Wellness Institute Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *